Wednesday 25 September 2013

LFW Designers' Speak: Nishka Lulla & Nikhil Thampi

The Lakme Fashion Week Winter Festival 2013 left behind the glitz of the runway for us to bask in for the rest of the season. Contemporary designs from the younger designers were a treat to the eyes.

The chic travel collection for women by Nishka Lulla, blended with comfort and convenience, was unbeatable, while the eclectic, tribal inspired collection, in traditional silk, by Nikhil Thampi was a gorgeous affair.

In a candid conversation with students of Whistling Woods - Neeta Lulla School of Fashionthe two innovative and inimitable, Gen Next designers shared their experiences of the LFW grandeur.

How important was it for you to be able to showcase your work on a platform like this?

Nishka : It is important to showcase on a significant platform like LFW at least once a year to create awareness and show buyers what you have to offer.
Nikhil: LFW has been my core existence and would always peg more importance to them for showcasing my work and supporting me; I am a loyalist to LFW. Secondly, the show gives mileage to young designers like me who need uplift.

How have things changed for you after this event?

Nishka: Things have not changed but have become better. People see how my collection has evolved since my last show. There are new business offerings and latest reviews of my designs help me understand people’s reactions.
Nikhil: My first introduction to fashion was when my best friend took me along to LFW and almost blackmailed me to help her. I immediately fell in love with how fashion works. Everyone encouraged me to give it a shot and out of 800 random applications only 8 were selected and luckily I was one of them. And there has been no looking back. Things have really changed after that a lot. From being a “nobody” to a “somebody” today, was possible only because of the platform I got.

                           
How important is fashion education and what are the pre-requisites to a good fashion institute?

Nishka: Fashion education is extremely important. Designing is not just talent but very technical as well. You need to know how to construct a garment, what fabrics to use, how it will stay, the silhouette, draping, history of fashion, how it evolved, crafting and cutting a fabric. Unless you know the process of design, you can’t design.
A good fashion institute is about having experienced faculty. The school should teach the basics of all aspects of fashion from photography to styling and so on. You can always specialize later.

Nikhil: I don’t have a formal degree but at times I see the need of it. When it comes to technical terms, I am terrible. I like to learn my way on the job since I like taking challenges. But its very important to have an education in designing to understand the technicalities.
A good fashion institute should give its students creative “freedom”. Even if it is a garbage bag they want to design, let them. It will help enhance their creativity.

A piece of advice to young fashion enthusiasts

Nishka: Identify your own style according to your personality and be true to your sensibilities. Do not imitate. Imitating wouldn’t lead anywhere. Find yourself and your style.

Nikhil: You must look up to a designer whom you admire but you shouldn’t blatantly copy them. Get inspired. They have made it today because of their individuality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment